“When you are in a position when you are being forced to do things that are not consistent to your values, then you have to be more creative, and you have to find another way. There are lots of ways to be successful”
Take some time in your day to get to know Andy Palmer. Andy is the CEO and founder of Tamr and Koa Labs in Boston. He was named Boston’s Angel investor of the year, and has helped found or fund more than 50 innovative companies in technology, healthcare, and life sciences.
Jay and Andy have a frank conversation about the emotional challenges of entrepreneurship, touching on burnout, overwhelm and maintaining your values while you navigate your entrepreneurial journey. Luckily, Andy shares some secrets about what has made him so successful, and some of the takeaways that he’s learned from advising hundreds of founders in his role as an investor and business mentor.
Tune in and listen to the conversation as Jay and Andy explore how knowledge and mastery of one’s self is the truest determinant of success if you want to be a thriving entrepreneur.
00:55 Boston Cambridge startup Innovation Ecosystem
08:08 Partnership model for Entrepreneurship
13:55 Know yourself
22:47 Learning balance
27:43 The best organizational model
Connect with Andy
Koa Labs: https://koalab.com/
Angellist Profile: angel.co/andy-palmer
- 4:33 “Pain and gain are both subjective and relative” -Andy Palmer
- 5:58 “When we are in the right environment and there’s that resonance and were feeling good, that’s way more important…when supported by the people around me, I am much more able to paddle over challenges that I am facing” -Jay Rooke
- 13:55 “The more you know yourself and what your good at, and what your not, the more you are going to be able to handle all those decisions that hit you every day…the better job you are going to do, to do this kind of work” -Andy Palmer
- 23:45 “If those sacrifices cause you to become something that you don’t want to be, it’s absolutely not worth it… you want to be proud of what you build” -Andy Palmer
- 24:47 “When you are in a position when you are being forced to do things that are not consistent to your values, then you have to be more creative, and you have to find another way. There are lots of ways to be successful” -Andy Palmer